Featured Post

Gifted Schedules: 2021-2022

Friday, April 1, 2022

Significant Objects

 Eagle Ridge 6th grade reading students were tasked with writing a story to go with an inexpensive object as the participants of the Significant Object Experience did. The idea is to increase the perceived value of said object.  Here is what they came up with:



     Crystal Necklace

My dad had gone to Australia for 2 weeks to mine for his job. I was staying with my uncle till he came back and he said he would bring me back a souvenir. I was on the phone with him 4 days before he came back, and he had told me that there was a surprise in the mailbox for me. I put on my shoes and jacket to go see. When I looked in the mailbox I saw there was a green envelope. I went inside the house to see what it was but the whole envelope was soaked because of the rain. I put it on the window shelf to let it dry and I would check in the morning. Later on I ate dinner then fell asleep. It was morning and the envelope was all dry so I checked to see what was inside. I saw a necklace chain and then put it on my desk. 3 days later when my dad came back he had another surprise. It was a real citrine crystal that he had found while mining in Australia for me to put on my necklace chain.




Frog

A long time ago there was a war that raged on for years in Japan. An American group of soldiers  were being aggressed by Japanese soldiers. The group of soldiers being aggressed needed immediate help but had no way of contacting anyone. They found an abandoned house that was set up as a place to hide in case  they were in a bad position. One of the soldiers found a piece of paper and some pens. They wrote a letter saying that they needed help. They thought they were going to be able to get the message out until they realized they couldn’t do so without getting caught by the Japanese soldiers.  They thought they were going to die when a frog jumped into the house.  The frog was given the note in hopes that the frog would somehow deliver the message to another soldier who was nowhere close to where the group of Japanese soldiers were.  An hour later the hiding soldiers heard the sound of gunfire and explosions. The frog had successfully delivered the message and saved the group of soldiers.  The frog was never seen again, but is not considered a sign of hope. People now make plushies of frogs because of this.